Sunday, February 10, 2008

Clothing and Adornment

I consider my dress and adornment to be relatively consistent with the social norms but slightly unique in terms of style. I believe my dress parallels my personal values when it comes to cleanliness and taste. My clothing is always clean, I rarely wear a pair of pants more than three times without washing them and shirts are generally only worn once or twice before being washed. The colors of my clothing are skewed towards my favorite color of blue. I don’t possess many articles of clothing that are extreme colors such as neon orange or black, etc. I also like to believe that my clothing choices are somewhat unique in the sense that few people on campus will have the exact piece of clothing. This is not to say that someone wouldn’t have a very similar style of clothing.

Many choices I make are because I feel the pressure of my peers and social media. It’s a sad thought but if I think an article of clothing is “cool,” then I buy it. It has to be cool and something not everyone else has though so I find this predicament when shopping for my clothes. I also make my decision of clothing based on price too. I can’t afford the finest clothes so I purchase them discounted. I make an attempt to purchase clothes that are much more expense at their MSRP versus the price I pay. This may lead people to believe that I am attempting to dress myself in a way that deceives my net worth. Or it could show that I am a thrift shopper with good fashion sense.
Throughout my childhood, I had little say on the purchasing decisions of my clothes. When I became a teenager and then an adult I began to purchase my own clothes and decide what I would wear and what I wouldn’t. It wasn’t until my senior year of high school that I realized that there was so much money spent on clothing. I am a somewhat frugal person and like to save money so this was no different when it came to clothes. As a result, I have attempted to find the equilibrium of value and fashion conscientious clothing purchases.

My family has always been a large influencer of my dress and body adornment. From my mother dressing me to my sister making clothing recommendations, I have always used their advice and input. My parents had always told me to not get tattoos also. My father takes the standpoint that you are less employable with visible tattoos. My preferences are always changing so I have never had the desire to put something on my body that would be extremely difficult to remove.
Within my peers, there has been a wider variety of beliefs and values. Especially once I came to college this has been true. A lot of my peers have tattoos, piercings and are more open minded. When I see tattoos and multiple piercings, I am no longer surprised.

No comments: